general attitude for -ops, how we are expected to behave

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - ompaul at eircom.net
Mon Feb 15 23:13:04 UTC 2010

Joseph Price wrote:
> Getting more active ops is a better solution in my opinion.

ohh dear

The whole problem comes from having ops who dedicate a few hours and
some who dedicate many until they can't continue.

Since time began, or 2004 at least there has always been a lag between
daytime .au and morning time .eu where the network lacks people to be ops.

Others did what they could but were swamped.

Frankly I am dismayed that the thought has not sunk in, the people who
have the energy for the task are not always available. The bottom line
is simple.

A fully written out rule book does not work 100%.
Because you know, even if you won't admit it a good troll walks up to
the line and sticks their tongue out and steps back.
i.e. causes friction

What happens for the rest of the channel users is the channel turns into
  a place where things are no longer comfortable.

The earlier you nip it in the bud the better off you are.

Am I wrong and if so how/why?

If you can't you can have it discussed - IRC is not a democracy, and the
channels in question endeavour to ruan as support channels.
The function of a support channel is to provide support, -ot was founded
to allow people who were tired helping out cool heels or is that forgotten.

-ops was initially founded to provide a back channel to deal with
problems ops were experiencing. Learning and training did take place
there. There were other channels where this happened some public some
not so public.

It is not about a cabal neither is it about having a home for the
catalysing, it is more about providing sufficient space for users to
have the chance to support other users.

Lots of great helpers have been made ops in the past, however that seems
to be how lots of great helpers lost interest.

With this in mind I propose that the medium is the issue, not the
people. IRC is great for helping people, I know learnt lots of what I
know technically on various channels over the last 17 years or so.

It should be obvious from my comments I have watched this whole
discussion, however it is with a fair degree of pain.

It can't be perfect, as much improvement as can be brought to it will
be, and with that in mind I suggest if you feel you have differences
with others maybe you should put aside those differences and concentrate
on your common goals, it looks far to fractious from here to be healthy.