#ubuntu-ops policy discussion

Juha Siltala topyli at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 1 14:16:20 UTC 2010

Greetings fellow IRCers,

In yesterday's IRC Council meeting[1], we discussed the item of
#ubuntu-ops policies including 'no-idling' and +v. The no-idle policy
generated a lengthly discussion and we decided to postpone the item
until the next meeting and ask for community feedback.

According to the current policy, we allow no idling on the channel by
non-operators. Users should only visit the channel when they have
outstanding issues that require operator assistance. The purpose of this
policy is to ensure that ops and users can work out any issues without
spectators or intrusions by those not directly involved. It also allows
ops to quickly recognize anyone in need of assistance by noticing that
they are not voiced. Transparency is achieved by having channel logs[2]
publicly available.

Some discussants were not happy with the current level of transparency,
and offered suggestions as to how to handle an open channel:

    * allow open discussion on the channel, handle distractions on a
      case-by-case basis
    * allow anyone to join and idle, moderate the channel and figure out
      a way to voice those needing voice
    * allow interested parties or monitors to join under strict moderation
    * two channels: issue management channel and a general discussion
      channel
    * two channels: the current -ops channel, and an open, moderated
      mirror channel where all discussion on -ops is relayed

Naturally, one option is to keep the current policy, which continues to
stand for the time being. The Council would like some feedback on
potential benefits of opening up the channel more, and on how to achieve
it in practice.

For a full picture, please review the meeting log. The issue is the
first item of the meeting.

[1] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/01/31/%23ubuntu-meeting.html
[2] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/

Thanks for any feedback and advice,