Offtopic Channel Consolidation

Matt Darcy ubuntu.lists at projecthugo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 09:41:29 UTC 2010

On 31/08/10 10:15, Juha Siltala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:05, Matt Darcy
> <ubuntu.lists at projecthugo.co.uk <mailto:ubuntu.lists at projecthugo.co.uk>>
> wrote:
>

>     I'd like to suggest the merger of at least the core offtopic channels
>     into #ubuntu-offtopic.
>

> I agree. What exactly is the difference between #ubuntu-offtopic and
> #kubuntu-offtopic for example? When Ubuntu and Kubuntu come up in
> discussion on #ubuntu-offtopic, the discussion revolves around the
> differences and similarities in some implementation of the desktop
> experience or community process or some such feature. What could be
> better than to have a variety of users familiar with both?
>
> As for the way-offtopic chatter that has nothing to do with *buntu, that
> is common to everybody anyway. The same LOLcats amuse Ubuntu and Xubuntu
> users I'm sure, and the same industry and tech news are relevant to all
> of us.
>

>     I'm very much in favour of any other offtopic ubuntu channels especially
>     small ones that only have a few users.
>

> Which channels do you have in mind? Aside from the three mentioned
> channels, I only see LoCo offtopic channels
> on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/ChannelList .
>
> Cheers,
> Juha

hey Juha,

all good feedback, and I agree.

I'm not sure of the other little offtopic channels, I know there are a
few I've stumbled across in surprise that there was things like
#ubuntu-over-6ft-tall-with-blue-eyes-offtopic that need consolidating
which I'm hoping guys on this list may call out any of the more obscure
ones.

I think specific channels such a the ubuntu-women offtopic channel needs
leaving alone as there is a specific reason for that channel.

Matt