A view from the outside - RE: Stepping Down

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 7 20:05:49 UTC 2009

On 07/09/2009 18:08, Richard JOHNSON wrote:
> <    Foo!n=foo at bar/baz [requested by<OP>: "no idling, please"]
>
> #ubuntu-ops is a public IRC channel, this "NO IDLING" rule is useless at
> best. Why don't you want people idling in there? I know why a lot didn't,
> and I will let it be known, I have the logs to back it up, over 3 years
> worth that I would be glad to let everyone read, but I won't be that public
> with it, unless you want me to be. The reason is, you don't want those
> idling to see you talking, at times, mean of other people you are plotting
> to kick and ban from some channel.

I have to echo Richard's sentiments here. "No idling" is a very weird
rule, I'm in about 50 very different IRC channels at any stage and I've
never seen such a convention, so to kick users for idling is just
strange. There are many legit reasons for someone to idle. Perhaps they
want to make themselves available for help, perhaps they want to
understand how the IRC team works, etc.

I don't think the IRC team is all bad, but a less hostile and more
mature approach to things could certainly go a long way.

-Jonathan