IrcCouncilChanges: Decision making & coverage.

Joseph Price pricechild at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 7 21:34:17 UTC 2009

2009/12/7 Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com>:
> As I understand it, the Scope page defines what core channels the IRCC
> are *directly* responsible for:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/Scope
That defines what the IRC team is responsible for. With their GC
status, the IRCC actually covers a *LOT* more. Of course they don't
actually micromanage the whole thing, but they can help out when
needed.

> I also know that "officially according to freenode" the IRCC is
> responsible for the -ubuntu namespace, but it turns out I don't know
> how far that extends or what "governance" role the IRCC has over these
> (now hundreds?) of channels. I agree that clarifying this for everyone
> would be worthwhile.

The Ubuntu IRC Council actually has a GRF with freenode that cover the
channels #ubuntu-*, #kubuntu-*....... and so on for several key
subprojects of the Ubuntu community. I don't think that the CC
appreciates these extents/limits of (our) group registration and would
welcome any and all questions that you guys have. Reading the page I
linked to earlier would be a great start, as well as confirming with
our current GCs exactly what channels their forms cover.

In the past, those lines have been interpreted as to only mean the
Ubuntu distribution, rather than the Ubuntu community (including
kubuntu etc.) I think that this distinction between the different uses
of the word 'Ubuntu' must be made clear in writing from the start as
to avoid further problems.