IRC Guidelines

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sun Aug 9 02:25:31 UTC 2009

Op zondag 26-07-2009 om 11:16 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Michael
Lustfield:
> What I'm saying amounts to something like this. "Swearing is NEVER
> acceptable in the Ubuntu domain. Using it will result in a kick or
> ban, usually coming after a warning. However, slang is acceptable
> provided it is not in excessive use. Nobody wants to hear 'dang, [what
> surprised you]' on every line."
>
> The word "hell" should also be clearing defined. My personal stance is
> that the word is not ok to use. It is swearing unless you are using it
> in a religious sense. However, if this is the case, then it goes
> against the religion part of o4o. In some countries the word is only
> swearing, but then again, we're back to swearing.

I'd say "hell" can only be swearing _inside_ a religious context, as
outside that context it has no (offensive) meaning (or even a totally
different one[1]).

Every word that somebody might perceive as "swearing" might be perceived
exactly the opposite by others...

I think it's more important in what context on IRC words are used; e.g.
if they are used explicitly to insult people, or if they are used
excessively, that might be a reason to kick/ban.

[1] http://www.freebase.com/view/en/hell_brewery_the_beer_from_hell

--
Jan Claeys