Request for the removal of IRSEEK bot from all ubuntu channels.

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 13 08:22:33 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Tony Yarusso <tonyyarusso at gmail.com> wrote:
> LjL said:
>
> > The idea itself that IRC chats are protected by copyright is debatable,
> > although IANAL and I won't try to get into the specifics.
>
> This was originally a valid point, but when it was first brought up we added
> a statement on the IRC guidelines declaring that the content of all Ubuntu
> channels is in the public domain, which is implicitly agreed to by joining
> and speaking in the channels, so this particular point is now null.

It's not particularly relevant for this discussion, but if you're
seriously relying on an "implied agreement" on the part of people who
join channels to IRC guidelines as having legal consequences, whether
in relation to waiving copyright or any other right, you're in
trouble.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org