Bantracker redesign

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:44:58 UTC 2008

I'm not sure how I feel about not tracking bans from other channels - they
can be useful, although it is a higher priority to have a stable bot than a
comprehensive one, so if that's the reasoning I don't mind.

I don't really care _who_ removed a ban, but I do think it's important that
it track whether it was removed, and be able to search by current, removed,
or all - could you clarify that point a little?

The other main thing I'd like to see is some sort of periodic sync with
actual status.  I have no knowledge of the coding or network things that
would be involved, but that said here's the deal:  Right now the bantracker
claims that I have scores of unremoved bans, except that they have in fact
been removed.  This is because ubotu was either non-responsive, offline, or
not joined to the channel when they are removed.  Obviously, we don't want
it to try to sync while joining (syncing channels is clearly plenty of
strain), but it would be nice if once it a while ubotu could talk to
ChanServ and say hey, I have ban suchandsuch in my records - does that match
yours?, and if not, correct it.  My proposal would for this to take place
once every six months, at approximately the same date as the release of the
first _Beta_ for the current development version of Ubuntu (thus giving us
the cleanest environment around release day).

Seconding Martin's suggesting of a different database.  If MySQL is too
heavy, perhaps PostgreSQL.  No, I don't personally have a great
understanding of DB engine architecture - it just seems wise to use a
mainstream one for stability.

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/