Fwd: IRC Council

Joseph Price pricechild at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 26 17:52:03 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Troup <james.troup at canonical.com>
Date: 26-Jun-2007 15:54
Subject: Re: IRC Council
To: Joseph Price <pricechild at ubuntu.com>, community-council at lists.ubuntu.com

Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> writes:

> My one concern is to ensure that incidents of the type recently reported
> to the council about potentially illegal and aggressive actions by an
> IRC operator don't happy again. Given that I wasn't part of the council
> at that time, I don't know the full story about that so I can't comment
> further, but I'd appreciate it if the council would ensure that the
> relevant policies are in place to avoid such situations in the future.

I agree - I'd like to see the issues explored in:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/private/community-council/2007-March/000535.html

more fully resolved.  AFAICS, the operator guidelines still don't
explicitly discourage counter-attack or specify freenode staff as the
correct/only escalation point beyond a ban or k-line.

--
James