the irc lobby or foyer concept

Sarah Hobbs hobbsee at kubuntu.org
Fri Jun 1 06:01:43 UTC 2007

Paul O'Malley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have not worked this out fully however, I would like to start the ball
>  rolling on the lobby / foyer concept.

Yay!

> My motivation is two fold, firstly the conversation in #ubuntu-devel on
> Sunday, the second is that that I dropped into #ubuntu and I thought it
> was too fast last night, for even a few seconds.

It really is getting ridiculous, yes.

> I have enough years on IRC to know that is a passing trend, I also read
> that people are falling into #ubuntu-bugs to get advice, and into -devel.
>
> In very simple terms this appears to me as if #ubuntu is not fulfilling
> its function.

+1

> So what is the lobby or foyer concept, well it is like going to a hotel
> and getting to the hotel concierge and getting simple advice from where
> the dining area and some from the layout of the hotel to other places in
> ubuntuland.  ;-)
>
> You may run into an issue with regard to the amount of channels you want
> to get into.
>
> So for layout I have a simple question how many different types of
> channels need to be set up.
> Auburn
> A beginners?
> A wireless?
> A xorg not -effects?
> Could we, nay, should we ask -effects to take on all xorg queries?
> What other channels are suitable.

I'd at least go with:

#ubuntu-beginners
#ubuntu-wireless
#ubuntu-x/effects
#ubuntu-hardware (anything that's hardware that isnt X or wifi)
#ubuntu-anythingelse (could be better named, i'm sure)

I'm currently looking through, and seeing what's most being asked about
- - do we have a list of this somewhere?

I suspect the way the forums are split would give us a fairly good
indication of what we need.