is offtopic -offtopic

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 27 19:42:06 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007, Paul O'Malley wrote:
| It was my understanding that the function of -offtopic was to provide a
| "ubuntu spirited" channel, where those who were talking about things
| that were ubuntu related but not specific to the channel were in they
| could mostly move to -offtopic.
|
| My question, therefore is, if they have no place to go where are they to
| go? In other words we need -offtopic.
|
| As for standards, they move.
|
| If you want them say what you want, we do have the o4o !.
|
| P.

There is no problem with having an -offtopic, but when you get people in there
arguing about religion, politics, sex and what have you, then I am against
it. If the channel is needed, remove the #ubuntu* from it. We tend to tell
people who go offtopic in the main support channels to take it there. And a
few times I sent people there just for them to say that it is horrible to
have that type of room associated with Ubuntu. I don't blame them, that's why
I don't idle there. The offtopic channels are the cesspools of Ubuntu. 95% of
the time or greater the talk is definitely anti-CoC, which I have no problem
with, just remove the Ubuntu from it. If it is decided to to keep the
channels, then let it be known that God, the Devil, Sex, and Politics will be
and automatic permanent ban. None of this warning crap because as we all know
it is nothing but a leash that continues to get longer.

I may not be an OP in the main channels, and truthfully I could care less, but
what I have seen and continue to see and read about with the offtopic
channels is ridiculous. About where they go, I really don't care :)

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124