UbiquitySlideshow specification Wiki page shock and horror

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 17 15:50:20 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Dylan McCall<dylanmccall at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the duplicate data you mention, Evan? Would that be the
> multiple .pot files, or the fact that the stand-in "Screenshot of
> application" and "Icon for application" is repeated three times in each
> one? (Or both, I guess, since they're somewhat connected?)

There were two issues of duplication that I saw.  One was that strings
were repeated multiple times on Rosetta, as you mention.  I don't
think this is a huge issue, and most certainly not a blocker for the
first upload.

The other was that we need a solution for handling partially
translated or not translated at all languages that does not copy
entire slides from C.  However, your reply addresses this problem:

> For tidiness' sake, I guess it is possible to handle localization via
> the slideshow itself thanks to Javascript. I'm staring anxiously at
> JQuery, which I recently learned to love, but I guess this is doable
> without. (I don't think I could justify having scriptaculous /and/
> jquery). The script will need to change the base of every link in the
> document to point to the requested locale's version, except where the
> locale's directory doesn't define a new file. Could get ugly, but it
> would consume the least memory, take unnecessary work off Ubiquity and
> not involve a cobweb of symlinks.

That would be ideal.  I'd like ubiquity to know as little about the
slideshow as possible, with the only input to it being the currently
used language.