What Metapackages does a standard Xubuntu Install have ?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 19 11:41:16 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:19:19AM -0700, Jim Wiggins wrote:
> wget is not a standard package all the time.  I've had to apt-get it
> on some freshly installed *buntu systems.

Only with buggy installation methods (perhaps triggered by some odd
preseeding). My memory and, more reliably, our records indicate that
wget has been in the standard task (or base, before we implemented the
standard task for Ubuntu 5.10) since day one.

> Telnet, too.

The same goes for telnet (though it's now possible to remove it after
installation without removing the ubuntu-standard metapackage, since it
was downgraded to Recommends in August 2007).

> However, cron, at, and ed are more fundamental.

All of those have been treated the same way as wget since day one, and
are not currently regarded as "more fundamental" by our metapackages.