[ubuntu-in] [SOLVED} Network is connected but nm-applet says I'm not !!!!! (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Thu May 5 07:39:56 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 06:05 PM, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com
> <mailto:khatri.jatin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all
>
>     suddenly facing a strange problem,  I'm properly connected to the
>     network and the Internet as well but Network notification icon on
>     the panel (nm-applet) says/shows that network is not connected
>
>     does anybody facing this problem ???
>

> same here..

following steps can solve the problem ( on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS only )

be sure your system is updated or just run "sudo apt-get update" then go
ahead

1)  Download the following [a.b.c.d] packages in advance  as you will
not be able to connect Internet after doing the step 2

         a. dhcp3-client  {
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/dhcp3/dhcp3-client_3.1.3-2ubuntu3.2_amd64.deb
}
         b. dhcp3-common {
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/dhcp3/dhcp3-common_3.1.3-2ubuntu3.2_amd64.deb
}
         c. network-manager {
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/network-manager/network-manager_0.8-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
}
         d. network-manager-gnome {
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/network-manager-applet/network-manager-gnome_0.8-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
}

(Above link is given for x86_64 ,  if you are on i386 system ,  download
the appropriate packages for your architecture )

2) Remove  following[a.b.c.d,e]  packages  and restart the system (
NOTE:- you will not be able to connect the network after restart)

         a. dhcp3-client
         b. dhcp3-common
         c. ubuntu-minimal
         d. network-manager
         e. network-manager-gnome

3) Install the packages which we have downloaded in 1st step

         Now you are able to connect the network but applet will show
you ,you are not !!

4) Add a PPA repository from this[1]

         [1] https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/+archive/ppa

5) start the update manager and select ONLY the following[a,b] two
packages ( don't select other packages if shown )

         a. network-manager
         b  network-manager-gnome
6) Restart the system

7) Remove the PPA repository which we have added in step 4 as we do not
need it any more

8)  now install "ubuntu-minimal" through synaptic package manager

9) Restart the system ..... everything should be fine now...  connection
as well as notification by the nm-applet

Cheers !!!

--

*/

Jatin Khatri

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/