[ubuntu-in] Canonical kills free Ubuntu CD program

Manish Sinha mail at manishsinha.net
Thu Apr 7 10:44:14 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 02:48 PM, Stereotactic wrote:

>>> Thats good. Still, it's main flagship was always Gnome and hence
>>> there are
>> The most important upstream is still Debian, not GNOME (some-one
>> please correct me if wrong)
> There was a talk about how little Canonical has supported Gnome (<1% of
> the code base or whatever); it's all over the net so I wouldn't really
> bother to prove my point.

Did you see it? I don't think you can because no such talk exists.
It was a blog post by Dave Neary.

If you understand the ecosystem so well, then you should be knowing
that it was a blog post and who posted it and when it was posted.

Instead you start with "There was a talk......"

> The thread is *NOT* about rolling release. Please. It was, I repeat
> again, the role of LUG's to spread the word for libre software. Despite
> it's existence, I barely see any activity; heck, its not even mentioned
> in the mainstream media. How many of us have made *ANY* effort to work
> on those lines? Having a website or IRC presence alone does not count,
> IMHO.

This discussion started from
"the best option is still to move on to the roots; i.e. Debian and I am
downloading the rolling release. "
Where did LUG come in picture? You were talking about Linux Mint and
Ubuntu's Update Manager.

> :) First there is none; then there is "development version". Okay :)

It isn't calling a rolling release so it does not exist.
Using Development versions you can get the feel of rolling release

> The idea is against proprietary standards. Against the concept of "paid
> software" in the base operating system. I "*repeat again*" that no one
> objects to Ubuntu One as a cloud service where users "*may*" pay for
> whatever or if they are so concerned about syncing issues. Neither does
> anyone object if there is anything for "paid support".

No one objects? Are you sure?

Paying for GPL software is also not wrong. People do pay. Humble Indie
bundle.

> But it's against the proprietary standards and as I mentioned, stiffling
> EULA's that are bound to come with it, one day or other.

Which "proprietary standards"? Example please.

>>> In the long run, it would slowly compromise with the ideals of Debian
>>> and
>>> GNU.
>> How? All I find is talk and no evidence. You know when we talk about
>> Free we mean libre and not gratis.
>> Please head to http://gnu.org for more information
> Again, it has no relevance to you assertions. Please try and understand
> this. Canonical is profiteering from free code & turning on proprietary
> standards without contribution back to community.

You still fail to explain how "it would slowly compromise with the
ideals of Debian and GNU"

>> The license is also "Terms and conditions" for using the software. I
>> hope you know this. Free software license are also as fancy to the
>> end-user as those 20 page long EULA.
>> Have you ever looked how long the full GPLv2 license is?
> It's still "copyleft". I hate copyright in any manner whatsoever because
> it's very nature is RESTRICTIVE. Sorry but the "length" of the licence
> has nothing to do with it :) At least, it doesn't incapacitate the user!
> GPL3/4/5 or whatever version may be 1000+ pages or whatever, still it
> keeps the "freedom" intact.

You know without copyright, copyleft cannot exist?

Sheesh! Do you even know what is copyright. It is a right or
ownership. You probably hate the license  under which those software
are distributed.

You know that all code under copyleft license is also copyrighted?

> Ha! Glad you did :) Ignorance is bliss :) Atleast, I made your day :)

I just posted about your ignorance related to copyright and copyleft
just above. Probably you made your own day. :)

>>> It has already moved towards Unity and slowly poisoning
>>> it's relation with other companies in the ecosystem refusing to play
>>> ball
>>> with others.
>> BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.. http://goo.gl/NoyJS
> :) http://imgur.com/kBhRq Hope this helps the attitude of some people :)

Atleast I don't go around writing conspiracy theories and blasting off
people (unless they spread FUD).

>>> Perhaps it has *balls* enough but the future is going to stormy
>>> for all of them.
>> Reading this same shit for past 5 years. Nothing happened
> Reference to above quote; you are unlikely to see anything in the long
> run/future :) So I'd let that pass again.

One sample: I have been hearing since day 1 that next release of Ubuntu
will see a mass exodus. It see it for every release. Nothing happens.

--
Manish