[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu/Knoppix on ext2/ext3 FS on usb stick [solved]

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 12:23:42 BST 2010

On Friday 17 September 2010 04:41 PM, Narendra Diwate wrote:
> There is a significant difference between installing to a HDD and
> making a liveUSB. In the first case the entire file system is
> extracted on to the hard disk.
>
> On a USB you dont "install", you copy the compressed file system and
> then make it bootable. This is to prevent frequent read/writes to the
> USB flash memory which will reduce its life.
>
> I dont know about knoppix, but *buntu has Startup disk creator that is
> very good to make a USB drive bootable. Knoppix should have a similar
> program. After all its the first live CD.
>
> Unetbootin should work for most others. Fedora and Opensuse have their
> own LiveUSB creators.

Thnx for you replies and explanations

there is one hd install script for noppix ... and it works fine ... it
installs OS on usb drive like normal HDD

Warm Regards

--

Jatin Khatri

Web www.khatrijatin.co.nr <http://www.khatrijatin.co.nr/>

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/