[ubuntu-in] General Question About Linux - Would there be any kind of Computer Users you would not introduce to Linux

Jagadeesh Krishnamurthy kjaggu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 04:48:13 BST 2010

I have managed to hand hold and convert some people completely to Linux. Two
instances were when they could not afford to buy new laptops, and had to
work with their existing systems which came packaged with bloated Vista,
which rendered the laptop slow over a period of time. After switching to
Ubuntu, they have been quite content with it.

One of them, despite seeing the positives, still feels that Windows is a
better option, and has Windows 7 in his new desktop. He doesnt want to
"learn" new ways of using software for his daily essentials. Moreover, since
Ubuntu doesn't have Corel or Photoshop, he doesn't want to be restricted. He
simply doesn't want to learn the alternatives. It simply doesn't go into his
head that he is using pirated ones, and not open source software (which is
free from all senses). I have reached a point where I do not talk with him
about it anymore. One of his points, though, was valid. When his laptop had
a hard disk failure, Ubuntu continued to write data on the affected sectors.
An exhaustive search didn't yield much, and the only solution was to replace
the disk. However, he noted that at least windows doesn't write new data on
the affected sectors, and allows u to block access to those sectors thus
using the remaining space available till one can buy the new hard disk.

Anyway, lets all agree that most people (non-IT guys like me) came in for
the "free" (as in money) tag. Unfortunately, most of them do not understand
or even care about the FOSS logic. They are genuinely happy if their work
gets done. Hence, the onus is on the community to a develop something that
appeases all. This is exactly what the community is delivering. There will
be cases of people who might not stick on..why bother? Lets live the way we
want to... :)

Regards,
Jagadeesh

---