[ubuntu-in] Fwd: Ubuntu not booting up

Narendra Diwate narendra.diwate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:00:39 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Narendra Diwate <narendra.diwate at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> From: Shubham Chakraborty <s.chakraborty at vikaspublishing.com>
>>

> The data wont get affected unless you decide to reformat.
>>

> Not so
>
> if the OP says he has one partition for Ubuntu and another for Win XP then
> there is great risk of losing data during reinstallation
>
> If there is one Ubuntu partition it means everything is inside it - means
> just one / (/root) partition which contains /boot / (root) /home /var /etc
> etc etc basically everything.
>
> So no don't go in for a reinstall till you recover your data.
>

>> If you have a Live CD/USB of Ubuntu, boot up using that and reinstall
>> Grub. Google for Reinstalling Grub in Ubuntu 10.04 and follow the
>> instructions.
>>
>> do as above.
>
> 1. If you data is very important then after booting from a live cd find you
> home (where you data should be) and transfer it to an external disk.
>
> 2. This UUID problem seems to be a constant one and sometimes the solution
> works sometimes it does not - am assuming that while trying to boot you get
> redirected to a shell with a terminal prompt. There may / should be a
> message saying press Control+d to continue to a normal mode. If this is the
> case then then control+d will not work until you enter a blank atleast two
> times. Basically at the prompt enter enter twice. Then press Control+D and
> the system should start up normally. This happens when the upgraded system
> does not recognize a partition by its UUID
>
> Again to irritatingly reiterate - first get your data out and then do any
> recovery.
>
> And next time you install Ubuntu make sure you have a separate /home it
> really helps when the system gets messed up
>
> ram

I only asked the OP to reinstall grub, so no data risk. OR Am i mistaken.
I also said there is a risk to data if you reformat. should have added
reinstall, but assumed OP understood. MY bad.

And yes, as with any repair /trouble shooting, backing up data should be
done before anything else is attempted.

And as Ram has suggested, please have a separate /home when you reinstall.
--
Regards

Narendra Diwate