[ubuntu-in] grub issues in karmic

Moz listmoz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:18:27 BST 2010

Hi

> Karmic installs GRUB2 on the MBR, not GRUB Legacy. The configuration file
> in this case is /boot/grub/grub.cfg and the format is quite different when
> compared to the earlier version. When you installed Karmic, GRUB2 must have
> automatically recognized Windows, but I don't know why it did not happen in
> your case. Anyway, you can specify the boot details for Windows in grub.cfg:
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> menuentry "Windows XP" {
>     insmod ntfs
>     set root=(hd0,1)   [Assuming Windows is installed in your first
> partition]
>     chainloader +1
> }

Thanks, I found the followoing in my /boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)" {
        insmod ntfs
        set root=(hd0,1)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set d44c012f4c010dc4
        drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
        chainloader +1
}

So there are two other additional lines apart from what you sent, which are
the search and drivemap commands. And the computer does not boot to XP with
this. I have no idea how to edit so that it could boot to XP.

Sincerely,

Moz