[ubuntu-in] grub issues in karmic

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:13:31 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Hrishikesh Murali
<hrishikeshmurali88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Moz <listmoz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> And it seems that the boot configs are changed. I can not find
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst to edit.
>
> Karmic installs GRUB2 on the MBR, not GRUB Legacy. The configuration file in
> this case is /boot/grub/grub.cfg and the format is quite different when
> compared to the earlier version. When you installed Karmic, GRUB2 must have
> automatically recognized Windows, but I don't know why it did not happen in
> your case. Anyway, you can specify the boot details for Windows in grub.cfg:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> menuentry "Windows XP" {
>     insmod ntfs
>     set root=(hd0,1)   [Assuming Windows is installed in your first
> partition]
>     chainloader +1
> }
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding to this, you can also bring up the grub menu by keeping shift
pressed when the system starts up. Next, you can bring up the
interactive console and type the commands

grub> insmod ntfs
grub> set root(hd0,1) # You can try tab complete here to get the
correct partition
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot

This should bring up Windows for once.