[ubuntu-in] If not Ubuntu then what

Hardik Dalwadi hardik.dalwadi at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 23 19:35:54 GMT 2010

Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Ashutosh Rishi Ranjan
> <ashutoshrishi92 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I love Ubuntu because frankly till now I have had no objections to
>> Canonical's decisions. I weigh their decisions in terms of its effect
>> on new users not me because I know that the decision won't really
>> affect me because I can choose what I want after installing the
>> default. Canonical does not enforce but merely makes their decisions
>> idiot-proof.
>
> I missed an important point in my original  mail but here is one of the crux
>
> What if, just thing about it, what if Canonical asked you to pay. A La
> Novell and Closed Suse (as opposed to open suse) or Red Hat

AFAIK, Canonical is following service base model. Why are you thinking
like that " What if Canonical asked you to pay"?  For what? Ubuntu OS?

As Mr. Ashutosh said, Ubuntu is Foundation with it's own funding. Here
is quote from Wikipedia [1]. Here is official e-Mail Announcement [2]

"Ubuntu is currently funded by Canonical Ltd. On July 8, 2005, Mark
Shuttleworth and Canonical Ltd announced the creation of the Ubuntu
Foundation and provided an initial funding of US$10 million. The purpose
of the foundation is to ensure the support and development for all
future versions of Ubuntu. Mark Shuttleworth describes the foundation as
an "emergency fund" (in case Canonical's involvement ends).[20]"

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29
[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2005-July/000025.html

> This (at another level) is also applicable to Gmail (and other google services)
>
> Yes people would migrate , maybe, but would you pay. I wouldn't , not
> because its about the money because actually i am willing to pay for
> services. which is what the open source model offers.

Agree, I hope you will insist your OEM to ship machine with
Pre-Installed Ubuntu, on your next purchase. If not then you can
purchase support / services.

Also, i like Ubuntu, because it's common for End-user / Community and
Enterprise with Free Update / Upgrades, If i need support on my existing
Ubuntu system / installation, i can buy support from Canonical or any
other company, This is not the case in other distro, If i need support
on that, it's difficult,  i am sure companies will ask you to upgrade on
commercial one.

--
Hardik Dalwadi