[ubuntu-in] keyserver.ubuntu.com timeout ..

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:25:30 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Sanjay Bhangar <sanjaybhangar at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> Attempting to add a PPA from here: https://launchpad.net/~bzr/+archive/ppa
>
> Here is what I get at terminal:
>
> sanj at sanj:/var/www/oxjs$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com
> --recv-keys 8C6C1EFD
> Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring
> --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg
> --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys
> 8C6C1EFD
> gpg: requesting key 8C6C1EFD from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
> gpg: keyserver timed out
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
>
> Is there any work-around for this? I have faced this problem quite a bit --
> not sure what it's due to - my net connection seems okay.

It is most probably a firewall issue. I was facing a similar problem
at work, when I tried the same using my home computer it worked
perfectly. Some firewalls are configured to block traffic to non
standard ports (other than 80/443 for HTTP/HTTPS). Check with your
systems administrator.

> Right now just trying to install what I need from sources ..
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Sanjay

Sent using the magic of the interwebs.
http://ritesh.posterous.com