[ubuntu-in] 64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage, (and problems in i5 processor)

S. Kartik drskartik at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:51:18 BST 2010

> Hi
>
> was starting to download 64 bit at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
>
> then saw this message along side the button to check for which version to
> download
> "64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage"
>
> so why is 64 bit not recommended for daily usage ??
>
> **
> An aquaintance recently installed 64 bit on an i  5 processor machine with
> the following kernel
>
> 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 05:14:15 UTC 2010 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> and is  experiencing strange system freezes - the system just locks up -
> nothing works not even Ctrl+alt+backspace and has to power off to get the
> machine back to boot and then it gets stuck in checking disk and after a
> long long while it gets to login screen
>
> **
> look forward to advise
>
> ram

I have switched over to from 32 bit to 64 bit since the launch of
Maverick Meerkat.
So far have not faced any major issues. Only problem which I faced was
that google earth does not run on 64 bit.
Probably the issue is of RAM, one should have at least 3-4 GB RAM to run
64 bit systems. It is worth a try if you have the hardware. I have a
Dell Vostro laptop with 3 GB RAM.
regards
Kartik