[ubuntu-in] 64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage (and problems in i5 processor)

Abhinav Modi abhinavmodi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 05:09:49 BST 2010

Hi Ram,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> was starting to download 64 bit at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
>
> then saw this message along side the button to check for which version to
> download
> "64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage"
>
> so why is 64 bit not recommended for daily usage ??

I think there are some open issues related to specific apps, java,
flash etc. This is the reason for the warning.

Having said that, I have 64 bit Ubuntu installed on 1 Desktop and 1
Laptop, both new, and haven't faced any blocking issues.. Java, Flash
etc work fine (probably needed to do some install of non-default
packages - for example, Java version shipped with Ubuntu is currently
the icedtea package, which has issues with some web sites). Workaround
is to remove this and install Sun java.

> **
> An aquaintance recently installed 64 bit on an i  5 processor machine with
> the following kernel
>
> 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 05:14:15 UTC 2010 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> and is  experiencing strange system freezes - the system just locks up -
> nothing works not even Ctrl+alt+backspace and has to power off to get the
> machine back to boot and then it gets stuck in checking disk and after a
> long long while it gets to login screen

I do see some random freezes once in a while on the laptop which is an
i7. Not sure of the reason, probably compiz. But it is not frequent
enough to be frustating, like BSOD :)

Let me know if you need any further specifics

Thanks !
Abhinav

http://indimark.blogspot.com
http://www.employees.org/~abhinav/blog