[ubuntu-in] Canon LBP2900B Printer on Ubuntu 10.04

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 14:22:14 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 07/30/2010 11:53 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 31/07/2010 14:49, Arun Shrimali wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> For last few days I am trying to install Canon LBP2900B Printer on
> >> newly Install Ubuntu 10.04.
> >>
> >> I have followed Ubuntu help and other helps also like
> >>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters/CanonPrinters/Canon_LBP_2900
> >>
> http://sunscreen.blog.com/2010/03/31/how-to-install-the-canon-lb2900-on-ubuntu-910/
> >>
> http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/ubuntu/229-installation-canon-lbp2900-on-linux
> >>

> >> But failed, I could not able to print even a single word.
> >
> > However, I notice that you mention that you have the LBP2900B printer
> > whereas the URLs you give above cover the printer model *without* the
> > "B" at the end (ie, the 2900).
> >
> > Is there a difference, and what is it if there is, between the 2900 and
> > the 2900B printer?
> >
> > Have you looked on the Canon site to see if they have a different
> > driver, or an upgrade, for the 2900 and the 2900B?
>
> It's the same driver:
> http://support-in.canon-asia.com/contents/IN/EN/0900772407.html
> [CAPT_Printer_Driver_for_Linux_V200_uk_EN.tar.gz]
> Linux Printer Driver (CAPT) Ver.2.00E
> Last Updated : 18-Feb-2010
> Issue Number : 0900772407
> OS    * Linux
>
> The above was from the 2900B support page.
> <
> http://support-in.canon-asia.com/P/search?model=LBP2900B&filter=0&menu=download
> >
> <
> http://support-in.canon-asia.com/P/search?category=Laser+Printers&series=Monochrome&model=LBP2900B&menu=download&filter=0

Oh! great finally, I got the print out .........

BUT

(here is the complete story) I think, as I have done lots of experiment,
thus I have to refresh the whole thing, thus I removed completely cups and
cups-common. And reinstall them freshly. Then followed the following link,
which I think is most suited as mentioned for LBP XXXXX

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/ubuntu/229-installation-canon-lbp2900-on-linux

It worked, but as soon as I restart the PC (Here I would again like to
mention that I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and Canon LBP2900B, where as, at the
bigening of the document it says that LBP2900 is not tested at Lucid) I got
another printer called LBP2900-2. With that, previously installed printer
LBP2900 also stoped working.

Further following the document I tried to uninstall the hal-cups-utils

*$sudo apt-get remove hal-cups-utils

But I found that hal-cups-utils is already not installed.
I delete the printer with following command
**
$ lpadmin -x LBP2900-2 && sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd restart && sudo
/etc/init.d/cups restart*

And printer started working, but every time I restart the PC,
LBP2900-2 automatic install and printer doesn't worked.

Is there any solution for this ??

Regards

Arun