[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu and Archlinux Dual boot

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:48:45 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 4/26/10, Ritesh Sinha <sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> > Arch is the best (well documented) rolling release. No other beginner
> > friendly ones that I am aware of. But you can look at it this way,
> > once you've spent the effort in setting it up the first time you don't
> > really have to do much to keep it running. You should also be aware
> > that you will usually have bleeding edge software and compatibility
> > might break from time to time (this is anecdotal of course, YMMV).
>
> So what kind of net connection is required for Arch -
>
> from what i can gather a pretty reliable and fat pipe seems to be the
> order of the day.
>
> was realy curious what rolling release meant - so checked the wiki
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
>
> "A rolling release is typically implemented using small and frequent
> updates. However, simply having updates does not automatically mean
> that a piece of software is using a rolling release cycle; to qualify
> as a rolling release, the philosophy of developers must be to work
> with one code branch, as opposed to discrete versions. Updates are
> typically delivered to users using a package manager and a software
> repository accessed through the internet."
>
> seems to me that this is something that requires constant access to
> the net and also not really meant for systems that require stability.
> The latter because there is no way such solling release can account
> for individual systems setup and cutomized (or can it)
>
> The advantage i see is that instead of lump sum one gets small updates
> (maybe) and it means that after the initial install , maybe, one can
> survive on a small bandwidth.
>
> There won't be patches, anything recitified will automatically appear
> in the main rolling release
>
> Also it probably means there is never going to be any excitement /
> hype about the latest release. Once you install a rolling release all
> one can say is "aha my system is the same as it was 10 years ago" -
> thats something actually.

on the bright side, no need to reinstall with every release(Of course
Upgrade option is there, but I say "Upgrade is fairly usless to 60% of the
users", reinstallation will give a different feel than Upgrade")

Now I feel should give a try to Arch and Gentoo.

Ubuntu is becoming more of Suse I think, more commercialization than
Democracy...