[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu and Archlinux Dual boot

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:52:54 BST 2010

2010/4/26 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/26/10, Ritesh Sinha <sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> > Arch is the best (well documented) rolling release. No other beginner
>> > friendly ones that I am aware of. But you can look at it this way,
>> > once you've spent the effort in setting it up the first time you don't
>> > really have to do much to keep it running. You should also be aware
>> > that you will usually have bleeding edge software and compatibility
>> > might break from time to time (this is anecdotal of course, YMMV).
>>
>> So what kind of net connection is required for Arch -
>>
>> from what i can gather a pretty reliable and fat pipe seems to be the
>> order of the day.
>>
>> was realy curious what rolling release meant - so checked the wiki
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
>>
>> "A rolling release is typically implemented using small and frequent
>> updates. However, simply having updates does not automatically mean
>> that a piece of software is using a rolling release cycle; to qualify
>> as a rolling release, the philosophy of developers must be to work
>> with one code branch, as opposed to discrete versions. Updates are
>> typically delivered to users using a package manager and a software
>> repository accessed through the internet."
>>
>> seems to me that this is something that requires constant access to
>> the net and also not really meant for systems that require stability.
>> The latter because there is no way such solling release can account
>> for individual systems setup and cutomized (or can it)
>>
>> The advantage i see is that instead of lump sum one gets small updates
>> (maybe) and it means that after the initial install , maybe, one can
>> survive on a small bandwidth.
>>
>> There won't be patches, anything recitified will automatically appear
>> in the main rolling release
>>
>> Also it probably means there is never going to be any excitement /
>> hype about the latest release. Once you install a rolling release all
>> one can say is "aha my system is the same as it was 10 years ago" -
>> thats something actually.
>
> on the bright side, no need to reinstall with every release(Of course
> Upgrade option is there, but I say "Upgrade is fairly usless to 60% of the
> users", reinstallation will give a different feel than Upgrade")
>
> Now I feel should give a try to Arch and Gentoo.

You should! It's a great learning experience. I learnt a lot about
linux configuration from Gentoo. Arch is my second favourite distro, I
use it for work where I require latest and greatest versions of
software :).

> Ubuntu is becoming more of Suse I think, more commercialization than
> Democracy...

Ubuntu was never a democracy [1]. There was a great outcry about this.
Personally I don't really care, if Ubuntu doesn't work for me I can
always switch to something that does (or if I have the requisite
skills, build one of my own). But why does the commercialization
bother you? They still give us the source code and I think it's a
wonderful way to provide services built around an awesome OS.

[1] http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/ubuntu-is-not-democratic.html

>> regards
>> ram
>>
>> --