[ubuntu-in] OT: Taking tux (and Ubuntu) for a run

sivakumar bharadhwaj jeyendrasiva at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:13:48 GMT 2009

Dear Sirs,

i am using Ubuntu for just 3 - 4 months only, earlier for past 10 years
windows only.

though i have heard about linux in the last 3 to 4 years - havent seen
anyone using linux.  I was working for a company (in the power division)
where they sell IBM, SUN, HP, and Lenovo.  But even at office (where at
bangalore around 200 people used to work), havent seen anyone using linux.
every system will be preinstalled with XP.  I have seen our support
engineers using Solaris 10 (Sun support).

Why I am telliing all these,  I dont think we can blame anyone - for not
seeing Linux.

Though I am fully satisfied with Ubuntu, I could not install them at my
office, where my HO people are shouting - since they cannot support for
Ubuntu. I have installed 9.04 & 9.10 in my own laptop.

I know there is a LUG in chennai, and if organisation like that gives us
more about customising & others for Ubuntu, we shall help more people,
outside this Linux group.  I know you all are very very good in linux.
whereas we do not know more than just customising.  I do not blame you all
at all ....

Instead, on saturdays & sundays, IF POSSIBLE,  can anyone give us basic
knowledge of customising certain aspects of Ubuntu, in chennai.

I can / others too can organise for such ones.  Just meet for max. 2 to 3
hours ( No parties etc - just Gyan).  we will meet informally.

I feel that people who are outside the regular Linux group (like you all)
can only lure the people who are using Windows.  If you all tell that 9.10
is better than windows XP or 7, they will say you are all experienced and
can do all that is required.

In short : give us A LITTLE MORE of what you all know.  We will evangelise
for you.  I know that LINUX DO NOT NEED EVANGELISTS, !!!!!!.

May be I have barged in without qualification - in this chat.

s.sivakumar
chennai
80561 37729 (Airtel - chennai)