[ubuntu-in] BackSpace Key Is Not Working In Ubuntu In Command Prompt

Abhishek Amberkar [अभिषेक] abhishek.amberkar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:16:54 BST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Ravi Joshi<ravi.joshi53 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi..
>   i have installed ubuntu 9.04 in my laptop DELL VOSTRO 1510,i want
> to create a C file(.c file).so i type vi filename.c in command prompt the
> file  named filename will open in that command prompt . then i press i for
>  input.nothing happaned in first time but when i press i second time i is
> visible in the file.then i press backspace to delete that i because i want
>  to type #include instead of i .nothing happaned. and one thing also that
> the right, left, up, down key is also not working. i was suffering from this
> problem in Ubuntu .10 also.

http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html
This should help you with vi.

Try this.

:set backspace=""  -> should disable backspace
:set backspace=2   -> should enable backspace

I don't know whether this works with "vi", since I am a "vim" user,
but give it a try.

--
With Regards
Abhishek Amberkar

Learn to appreciate the beauty within...
Sent from Mumbai, MH, India