[ubuntu-in] BackSpace Key Is Not Working In Ubuntu In Command Prompt

Anupama anupama at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 10 11:58:36 BST 2009

Mallikarjun(?????????????) wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Ravi Joshi <ravi.joshi53 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:ravi.joshi53 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     hi..
>     i have installed ubuntu 9.04 in my laptop DELL VOSTRO 1510,i want
>     to create a C file(.c file).so i type vi filename.c in command
>     prompt the file named filename will open in that command prompt .
>     then i press i for input.nothing happaned in first time but when i
>     press i second time i is visible in the file.then i press
>     backspace to delete that i because i want
>     to type #include instead of i .nothing happaned. and one thing
>     also that the right, left, up, down key is also not working. i was
>     suffering from this problem in Ubuntu .10 also.
>

> Dear Ravi,
> First of all, once you type the command vi filename.c ---> u will be
> in vi application and not in command prompt, neither it is to do with
> ubuntu.
> Vi is a text editor application which has 3 modes and it works very
> different from any other GUI text editors. Learn about vi editor then
> repeat the above steps.
>

>     --

Dear Ravi,

I agree with Mallikarjun. vi editor works very differently. it needs a
lot of practice to use it.
If you really need to edit files easily, use gedit, the official text
editor of the gnome desktop environment. If it is not installed on your
system, you can install the same using the synaptic package manager.
At the command prompt, you can just type gedit and the file name.

Regards,
Anupama