[ubuntu-in] Biswas Dutta amd64 system

Sandeep Raghuraman sandy.8925 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:24:31 BST 2009

I strongly suspect that there's a problem with your motherboard. In that
case that could cause all the odd behavior you've been having.  Since you
said that reverting to default settings made it work a few times reset the
BIOS by changing the jumper (you have to put off the comp before doing that)
. You can find out which jumper and the instructions in your motherboard
manual. To find out your motherboard model in XP use the PCWizard or CPU-Z
program(and post it here if you find out). In Ubuntu use the lspci or lshw
command and look through the output.If that doesn't work check if there's a
BIOS upgrade and install it to see if it helps.

By the way is your Ethernet card an onboard one or a separate card ? And
what kind of graphics card do you have ?

One lase thing: next time you give your comp for servicing don't give the
hard disk since it'll probably have some important data. Also please do me a
favour and call the guy who "repaired" your comp and scream and shout at him
. He should NOT have touched your data at all.