[ubuntu-in] Connecting a Wifi router to a BSNL Broadband modem through Ubuntu

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 07:30:25 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Raseel,
>
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > You can isolate the problem step-by-step.
> > First see if you are able to connect through a Wired connection using a
> > regular Ethernet cable.
>
> Nope cannot connect to the net via ethernet cable (through the wifi router)

So basically, your issue is not wifi but basic internet connectivity through
your router.
You need to concentrate on that problem first.
What are your LAN/DHCP settings ?

>  > And my advice would be to go for a WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption, since
> most
> > clients support this mode.
> > WPA2 and/or AES might not be supported by all Clients.
>
> so how does one figure which clients have which kind of encryption protocol

If your client does not support WPA2 security mode, it will not be able to
see APs with WPA2 security mode.
It's that simple :-)

Thanks,
Raseel