[ubuntu-in] booting to commandline

Puneeth Chaganti punchagan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:30:58 GMT 2009

Hi,

> I have a dual boot laptop, booting to Intrepid or XP. Is there a way I can
> edit the grub menu so that once in a while I can boot into a shell prompt
> without loading Gnome/gdm?

In Red-Hat based distros, this can be achieved by booting to a
different runlevel(3).
But, Ubuntu starts gdm in runlevel 2. So you need to remove the
symlink to gdm from run-level 2.
You could use 'sysv-rc-conf' package to edit the run-level configuration.

This thread would be helpful - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201130

> Also, while we are at it, I have installed Hindi and Gujarati language
> packs, support, openoffice language packs etc and scim, but am unable to
> input text in any program. In my previous Gutsy installation I was using
> kxkb and that seemed easier. How does one trigger the language change in
> scim?
You need to change the input method to "SCIM Input Method". [Right
click in the text area of the application. From Input Methods menu,
select SCIM Input] (this starts scim, if it's not already running)
You can use Ctrl+<Space> to trigger SCIM.

/punchagan

--
Puneeth Chaganti
Senior Undergraduate

http://punchagan.wordpress.com

Don't be afraid to take a big step. You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps.
-- David Lloyd George