[ubuntu-in] How to setup BSNL DSL broadband on Ubuntu

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:22:48 BST 2008

> The BSNL modem which we get runs in bridged mode, I dont know what
> bridged mode actually is, but one needs to dial-up to connect to the
> internet. I tried doing many nasty things in the router admin panel, but
> nothing worked.
> The router is set the assign the IP through DHCP itself, one never needs
> to assign it, just only after we connect through username and password,
> one can use the net. Till that time, only people can be connected
> through LAN provided by the router.

You are right. You can change the mode form admin UI of the router.
You should put it in PPPoE and make your life easier.
Also one needs to start the DHCP server on the router, because BSNL
routers come with DHCP off by default.

@Ramnarayan,
If you don't want to setup DHCP on the router you can follow the
instructions at
http://ubuntu-in.info/wiki/index.php/Broadband_Howto#Ethernet_Connection
If you set up DHCP server on router, skip steps 1-4.

If you want to make it work exactly as it is being done from Windows,
simply use command 'sudo pppoeconf'. If I remember correctly, network
manager applet should allow you to dial the dsl-provider connection
from UI. Otherwise you can do it from terminal using 'pon
dsl-provider' and 'poff dsl-provider'. Another option you have is to
set it to dial automatically at system bootup.

Onkar