[ubuntu-in] Need help installing gui (ubuntu-desktop) in ubuntu server hardy!

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 19:45:38 BST 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Rizwan Patel
<rizwan1980pat at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Config:
> OS (Host): Windows XP pro sp2
> Middle ware: VMWARE Server
> OS (Guest): Ubuntu server Hardy 8.04.1
>
> I have updated my Ubuntu server "sudo apt-get update".
> But during installing GUI with these command "sudo apt-get install
> ubuntu-desktop", it takes 3+ hours.
> How to download all package manually which is carry out during "sudo apt-get
> install ubuntu-desktop" in Ubuntu server.

How is downloading them manually them going to help? Do you want to
pull your hairs out trying to figure out all the dependencies instead
of letting apt-get handle it?

> Or can I install these GUI (Ubuntu-desktop) using Ubuntu Desktop image file,
> as I have download Ubuntu-desktop image too.

Ubuntu Desktop CD image will not work. Either you need Ubuntu Alter CD
image or Ubuntu DVD image.

Onkar