[ubuntu-in] DVD Region code

Linux Lingam linuxlingam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 08:25:52 BST 2008

> How do you claim that "mp3 not playing" is related to "DVD not
> playing"? Did you even read the original question?

thanks omkar for a good question.

mp3, xvid, mpeg2, mpeg1, og, and i suppose about two dozen more, are
codecs, that encode and decode audio, video, or images.

hope you realize that mp3 really stands for 'mpeg 1 Layer 3" so it is
related to video as well.

i've tried to often enable support for tricky codecs and/or
fileformats. for instance, quicktime, or try to install special
software to convert (transcode) one stream into another, such as
convert a flash video into a 3gp file for mobiles, or convert mpeg2 to
divx and so on. or extract and encode an audio-track from or for a
video, into mp3. and much more.

sometimes, this entails installing software and utilities that work in
the background, such as xine, ffmpeg, gstreamer, etc. etc.

sooner or later, these packages start conflicting with one another. in
getting video transcoding to work in one way, i will find that mp3
playback has got broken in another software. or getting ffmpeg to work
with some app, video in totem or some other player stops working.

for example, i recently installed this software under ubuntu, to
convert back and forth between my pc and mobile:

http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.htm

but damn! it broke a lot of other things that were working normally.
took me a week recently to get some things working again on my computer.
and still a few remain broken.

> By the way feisty is now more than an year old version of Ubuntu.

sure, but if you keep 'updating' the system does a neat job. thing
that were broken or had bugs just get sorted out in a few weeks or
months. am quite pleased with how it just works.
some things are just not fixable in fiesty, so found workarounds. for
example, audacity (an audio editing software) would not display menus
or dialog-boxes. the text disappeared. people on launchpad pointed out
a problem with locale. so while launching audacity, i just switch
local to 'us' and continue working.

but i digress.

hope you understand how heavy and serious work in codecs can cause problems.
try it and share your experiences.

regards
niyam