[ubuntu-in] The power of linux in embedded systems

Hardeep Singh hardeep1singh_s60 at yahoo.co.in
Thu May 15 15:31:24 BST 2008

Hi Raseel,

Thats not fair !!!
No OS in the world will keep other boot-loaders as part of it's installation.
Do you think Solaris or Windows will ever install Grub as default, and select a Linux OS as the default OS ?

I think its Linux who wants to make a place for itself in the average user's computing world not Windows, that's why I suggest using Windows bootloader, keeping it familiar is the key, not many people are ready to go into an unfamiliar territory, a completely different bootloader with a lesser known OS just might panic a newbie who may end up doing away with Linux by repairing the boot with Windows CD. Keeping an average user's PC just the way it is and just providing a link (through the bootloader) to the new OS. Would keep a newbie in his comfort zone and still he'd be able to know about linux.

In fact, it's a great idea to have Ubuntu selected by default.
So , if a user , for some reason, ends up forgetting to choose the OS, will end up landing in Linux. He'll think, "Oh well ! I'm in Linux, lemme see if I can get my work done here instead of wasting time rebooring " and the game begins.

Like I said before, his reaction might be, 'Hey What happened to my PC? God, this thing has just taken over. I need help!

Secondly, I think since 7.04 atleast, Windows drives are successfully detected and mounted on the Desktop. Maybe ubuntu needs to do a little tweaking so that the Drives are names C: , D: , etc. instead of /media/sda1, etc.

Windows drives work fine on Linux, never faced a problem with that but during my last 4 installations of Linux (3 times 7.10 and once 8.04), once the installation completes, i restart the system, grub loads and my Windows installations are always missing. I always have to tweak it to make it show up.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://www.raseel.in