[ubuntu-in] The power of linux in embedded systems

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:55:52 BST 2008

Hi Hardeep

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Hardeep Singh <
hardeep1singh_s60 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Ideally Ubuntu should use Windows Boot Menu, keep Windows as default OS and
> just add another entry for Ubuntu in the boot menu, this would be a more
> newbie friendly approach that would help linux create a space for itself on
> newbies PCs. Once they have it working as they would want it, they would
> try
> using it too, once they do that. they'd become linux users for sure.

Thats not fair !!!
No OS in the world will keep other boot-loaders as part of it's
installation.
Do you think Solaris or Windows will ever install Grub as default, and
select a Linux OS as the default OS ?

In fact, it's a great idea to have Ubuntu selected by default.
So , if a user , for some reason, ends up forgetting to choose the OS, will
end up landing in Linux. He'll think, "Oh well ! I'm in Linux, lemme see if
I can get my work done here instead of wasting time rebooring " and the game
begins.

Secondly, I think since 7.04 atleast, Windows drives are successfully
detected and mounted on the Desktop. Maybe ubuntu needs to do a little
tweaking so that the Drives are names C: , D: , etc. instead of /media/sda1,
etc.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://www.raseel.in