[ubuntu-in] hardy getting slower with use?

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Sat May 10 12:52:14 BST 2008

> What wifi router are you using? The Linksys WRT54G's have this problem
> with the BitTorrent protocol, in which case it has nothing to do with
> Ubuntu.

Got to do with Ubuntu because I have a dualboot XP and the torrents
fly! In fact, wifi performs like makkhan in XP.

> Try and upgrade your router firmware and the problem of wifi
> dropping while BitTorrenting should be fixed.

No more "firmware" for me!! I'm still in post-trauma blues after setting
up b43-fwcutter.

> The other problem I've faced with wifi is when trying to use the
> in-built switch to turn it off and on. Sometimes the OS doesn't
> properly recognize WiFi being turned back on. Other than this, I have
> never faced any problems with my wifi under ubuntu (after getting it
> setup, of course.. )..

I never use the in-built switch.It just seems quite silly to have it in the
first place.

> Perhaps you can give some more details to help
> diagnose what's causing this? What might also help is if you have
> another computer (running windoze or whatever) that can be logged in
> to the network the same time so you know whether its a network
> problem, or a problem of the OS.

As I said, everything works fine in XP, except that it is Windows. And
the other computers (two more in my family) haven't yet reported of
similar problems.

> For firefox - installing firefox-2 does not help ? Also, try getting
> all the updates, noticed there was a string of them last night and I
> believe my computer is performing a bit better now once I have them,
> but it could be my imagination  :-)

I have been avoiding the updates actually, perhaps that might be the
problem. I just hate loading more MBs on an otherwise light comp.

> Anyway - best've luck,
> Sanjay B

Are you Sanjay Bhangar from this Mumbai outfit called CAMP?

http://www.algomantra.com