[ubuntu-in] How to get SCIM running in Ubuntu 8.04

Dinbandhu dinbandhu at sprynet.com
Mon May 5 14:26:19 BST 2008

Hello,

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 08:43 +0530, ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M wrote:

> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Dinbandhu <dinbandhu at sprynet.com>
> wrote:
>         Hello,
>         I've just installed Ubuntu 8.04 and I've set SCIM to show on
>         the toolbar always, as well as turning on with the command
>         "ctrl-space". But the SCIM icon is not showing up on the upper
>         panel (or anywhere for that matter) the way it used to in
>         Feisty. And when I do ctrl-space, nothing is happening. When I
>         open the SCIM GUI setup (preferences -> SCIM), everything
>         looks to be set up properly to me. So what more do I need to
>         do to get this working?
>

> 1) Ensure scim-tables-additional & scim-modules-table packages are
> installed
> 2) In /etc/X11/XSession.d create file "75custom-scim_init" and have
> the following entries in it,
>

> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
>
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
>
> export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
>
> 3) Restart the session. Open Gedit and try inputting using Scim
> (Ctrl-Space for toggling Or Choose from Right Top Corner of Panel)

I was working on the computer several hours yesterday involved in
various works, and it was not functional. But after having rebooted a
few times, at one point it suddenly appeared in the lower right coring
above the trash, as an icon. I clicked on it, and SCIM roared into
life. For some reason, now it has started to work on its own! So now it
seems fine, I do not know why. Nonetheless, the info you have given is
extremely useful so that in future I will know how to deal with the
problem if it ever happens again.

Regards,
Swarup