[ubuntu-in] How to get SCIM running in Ubuntu 8.04

ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M shriramadhas at gmail.com
Mon May 5 04:13:34 BST 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Dinbandhu <dinbandhu at sprynet.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've just installed Ubuntu 8.04 and I've set SCIM to show on the toolbar
> always, as well as turning on with the command "ctrl-space". But the SCIM
> icon is not showing up on the upper panel (or anywhere for that matter) the
> way it used to in Feisty. And when I do ctrl-space, nothing is happening.
> When I open the SCIM GUI setup (preferences -> SCIM), everything looks to be
> set up properly to me. So what more do I need to do to get this working?

1) Ensure scim-tables-additional & scim-modules-table packages are installed
2) In /etc/X11/XSession.d create file "75custom-scim_init" and have the
following entries in it,

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"

export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"

export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
3) Restart the session. Open Gedit and try inputting using Scim (Ctrl-Space
for toggling Or Choose from Right Top Corner of Panel)

Sri Ramadoss M