[ubuntu-in] My webcam 041e:0405f does not work in Hardy

Mohan Dasaratha Rao dasaratharao at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 01:03:20 GMT 2008

Hi Onkar,
'I am sorry that I did not give more information. I thought that my device
number 041e:0405f would be sufficient. It is a Creative Live Webcam. I had
to download driver file os511 from a dedicated website for this purpose in
Fiesty version.
http://www.rastageeks.org/ov51x-jpeg/index.php/Main_Page
Now, this site has an upgraded driver version for Hardy.  So, I tried this
new driver without any success.

I have Nvidia Gefore4 MK440 AGP card. My earlier version Ubuntu was using
restricted driver and I assume that Hardy is also using the same.

As I suggested by you, I typed the commands and the results are pasted for
your information.

*mohan at mohan-desktop:~$ gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src device=/dev/video1 !
video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/v4l2src0: Cannot identify device
'/dev/video1'.
Additional debug info:
v4l2_calls.c(429): gst_v4l2_open (): /pipeline0/v4l2src0:
system error: No such file or directory
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...
mohan at mohan-desktop:~$*

When I typed gstream-properties, multimedia system selector dialog box
opened. When I tested video input device, it says "Device "/dev/video0" does
not exist". I am waiting for some more advise. Please note that I am a
novice in Linux and slowly catching up. Thanks.

--
D. Mohan
Even at 58, learning never ceases!