[ubuntu-in] Inviting Ideas for Promoting Linux in Engineering College

Manish Sinha manishsinha.tech at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 19:11:08 BST 2008

Hi people,

First let me introduce myself. My name is Manish Sinha and am a 4th year
Computer Science student at Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal,
Karnataka. I am quite interested in Linux and have been using it for around
2 years. Ubuntu is my favourite distro. I started off with this and never
moved away even after trying many others. This is my first mail out in
mailing lists, hope am greeted with lots of love.

Now coming to the point. We people (me with my friends) have founded LUG in
our college without any help from the college. I would like to get great
ideas from people out at India Loco Team mailing lists. Initially we had
very few members and even if we had, not all had ideas of Linux. At the
beginning itself we organized an Install Fest where we installed Fedora 8 on
48 student's laptop in 3 hours. We 8 people were only to get things working.
We have become tough in all these things. Well you might be thinking why
Fedora 8? This is because there were some problems in the default ATI
graphics card driver bundled and the XServer used to crash. We could figure
the solution for fedora as time was less.

Now I would like to be flooded with ideas of how to organise new events. We
have till now organised events like orientation meets, install fest, using
Linux workshop, web development using FOSS tools. We need some really great
ideas as college is the time when each student get s a chance to try Linux,
after getting a job, people don't have time. The topics should be of such
level that normal students can be able to understand it. We don't want just
geeks to use it, but every Tom, Dick and Harry should be able to use it with
ease. College is opening in after 40 and still we have ample time to prepare
for it.

If you have any queries, feel free to ask. There may be chances that I have
missed out some obvious points.

We have a website with hosting by our sponsor

http://www.lugmanipal.org/

Sponsor: Racked Hosting http://www.rackedhosting.com

We even tried to create proper wiki's but due to lack of time, we are not
able to complete it http://wiki.lugmanipal.org/

Thanks,

Manish