[ubuntu-in] bug or what ?? logging into recovery mode without password

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:11:00 GMT 2008

Hi

Am not sure what the reason for this access "without password" to the
root / recovery boot option is - but its a flaw

in the first place why have any password if it can be circumvented by
logging on as root

second no where during the (very easy) install does it give the option
for a root password

third - even if its a stand alone machine the reason the passwrod
exists is to have some basic precaution from allowing "anyone" to
access the machine.

Fourth on a network (a basic one) where many machines are standalone
units with independent booting etc i shudder at the implications of
this flawed root access to the computer.

Of course there are many hacks into a machine but this flaw is really
a basic oversight and i guess needs to be addressed,

we complain about the basic M$ windoze setup being insecure - this
Ubuntu configuration is not dissimilar

so do i file a bug report, a security flaw or what - and where.

thanks
ram