[ubuntu-in] BSNL Broad Band

Vinayak Mutalikdesai vinayak.mdesai at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 10:05:53 GMT 2008

Even my friend is using BSNL BB in Ubuntu [USB], its working fine without
any extra plug ins or anything...

Ubuntu by default detects USB modem [As per my knowledge].

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Manish Sinha <manishsinha.tech at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> > so how should he connect the modem - since his computer *does not have
> > an ethernet port*
> >
> > should he used USB ??
> >
> > ram
> I am presently using BSNL Broadband and Router is from UTStarcom. The
> USB doesn't work out of box. They provide a CD which has drivers for USB
> provided both for Windows and Linux.
> Windows USB driver works perfectly but you have compile the USB driver
> for Linux. I did try it out many many times by installing hell lots of
> tools and kernel headers. Everytime it fails. I went to #ubuntu and
> asked my problem, even gave them the error log only to find out that the
> driver provided was for 2.4.x kernel.
>
> If he gets his USB connection working right that the pppoeconf command
> can connect him to the internet.
> I have another connection of Airtel which has Beetal router. USB for
> this works perfectly, creates an interface eth2 and loads the cdc_ether
> module to the kernel.
> So I can just assume that it depends on the router provided. Check this
> page from Ubuntu wiki.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbAdslModem
> USB adsl modems have always been problematic..
>
> --
> Manish Sinha
>
> Personal Blog: http://www.manishsinha.info
> Tech Blog: http://manishtech.wordpress.com
> OpenPGP Key: 99E6658F

Vinayak MutalikDesai
Mobile  +91-97410 66922

"There are only 10 type of people in the world, those who can understand
binary and those who don't"