[ubuntu-in] BSNL Broad Band

Manish Sinha manishsinha.tech at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 09:13:18 GMT 2008

Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> so how should he connect the modem - since his computer *does not have
> an ethernet port*
>
> should he used USB ??
>
> ram
I am presently using BSNL Broadband and Router is from UTStarcom. The
USB doesn't work out of box. They provide a CD which has drivers for USB
provided both for Windows and Linux.
Windows USB driver works perfectly but you have compile the USB driver
for Linux. I did try it out many many times by installing hell lots of
tools and kernel headers. Everytime it fails. I went to #ubuntu and
asked my problem, even gave them the error log only to find out that the
driver provided was for 2.4.x kernel.

If he gets his USB connection working right that the pppoeconf command
can connect him to the internet.
I have another connection of Airtel which has Beetal router. USB for
this works perfectly, creates an interface eth2 and loads the cdc_ether
module to the kernel.
So I can just assume that it depends on the router provided. Check this
page from Ubuntu wiki.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbAdslModem
USB adsl modems have always been problematic..

--
Manish Sinha

Personal Blog: http://www.manishsinha.info
Tech Blog: http://manishtech.wordpress.com