[ubuntu-in] Java plugin for gusty

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:39:38 GMT 2007

Mir Nazim wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/1/07, Mir Nazim <mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello guy
>>>
>>> here I am again to bug you guys. I am running Gusty on AMD Turion 64
>>> x2. Now I need Java plugin for firefox/swiftfox. I found out that
>>> sun-java6-plugin package is not available for 64 bit version. But even
>>> sun-java5-plugin is not showing up in repositories. Any idea what to
>>> do.
>>>
>>> Moreover, Gusty finds and installs something called IceTea and GCJ
>>> plugin when you click the "CLick here to install missing plugin" in
>>> firefox/swiftfox.
>>>

>>> Any ideas how can i get it working.
>>>
>> Icedtea is a project to fill in gaps of currently in works Free
>> (GPLed) version of Java. It replaces some components that are not Free
>> yet with alternates available in other projects like classpath.
>>
>> Just install icedtea packages in gutsy and get going. :-)
>>

> Thanks Onkar
>
> But IcedTea packages are already installed. icedtea-java-bin,
> icedtea-java-jre, icedtea-java-plugin are already there. but still
> applets do not load.

What is output of 'ls -l /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so'? Does
it point to correct file
(/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-icedtea/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so in my case)?
If it doesn't, try 'sudo update-alternatives --auto
firefox-javaplugin.so'. I think 'sudo update-java-alternatives' should
help to update all alternatives related to java.

And if this also doesn't work then file a bug. :-)

Onkar