[ubuntu-in] Edgy too slow on new computer

Aniruddha Shankar karim at sarai.net
Mon Jan 15 12:50:12 GMT 2007

Usha wrote:
> Hi,
> I am not very familiar with gnu/linux. But, I used to run an earlier
> version of ubuntu and i was happy with it.
>
> Recenlty, I bought a new computer (SATA hard disk, AMD-64 bit, My main
> board is ASUS A8-VM).
>
> On this system I installed the new ubuntu edgy (32 bit). I had no
> problems during the installation. But now, everything is really slow
> and it takes minutes to scroll up a page.  Assuming the problem could
> be with GNOME, I tried running KDE and found that it was still slow.
>
> Please Help!
> Thanks!!

I recommend that you do *not* use the 64bit version of Edgy if you want
to view things like webpages with flash - the last time I tried to do
so, I ran into several problems. In any case, the system you mention
should not be slow at all as I have an AMD64 based system with PATA hard
drives that is not slow at all.

My guess would be:

a) the SATA hard drives are not being recognised properly or DMA on them
is not enabled.
b) there is some other low-level hardware configuration error.

to find out what the problems is, you should report the following
information to us. All commands should be run from the console.

1. Information about your hardware:

$ sudo lspci -v

2. Information about how Ubuntu has recognised your hardware:

$ sudo dmesg

3. Information about your CPU

$ sudo cat /proc/cpuinfo

4. Information about your hard disk

$ sudo apt-get install smartmontools
$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda (replace sda with the name of your hard
disk, if appropriate)

5. Information about how your disk is partitioned

$ sudo fdisk -l

6. Information about your BIOS

$ sudo dmidecode

cheers,