[ubuntu-in] Welcome to the

RajaSekhar Yeruva ysrajasekharreddy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 09:29:19 BST 2006

Hi Ashfaq,
 Welcome to Ubuntu Mailing list. Come to you problem.
Are you trying to dual boot along with your Windows
PC. or you are trying to dedicate whole computer to
Ubuntu.
Also tell us what option you have choosen while
partioning your Disk. There will be three options.
1. Partition Entire disk
2. Choose largest continuous volume
3. Manua1 partition.

I recommand you to use 3 rd option. Prior to this You
need to make a root and swap partition ready for
ubuntu install.
First answer these questions. Later we will guide you
through the steps or send you a link that helps you
install correctly

Thanks
Raj
--- ubuntu-in-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
<ashfaq.s76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ashfaq S. Shaikh
>  22,Captain desai Colony,
>  409/4, Sadar Bazaar,
>  Camp. SATARA.
>  Maharashtra.
>  Pin-415001
>  Cell No: +919960426796
>  15th sept, 2006
>
>  Dear Friends,
>
> Yes I am Ashfaq Shaikh looking for an entry into the
Linux world, and
> I am hopefully confident, of your over all support
to me to become a
> full fledged user and promotor of this software.
>
> I am 40 plus, Mechanical Engineer by profession,
staying presently in
> a very low profile small city called Satara.
Presently holidaying till
> the the work resumes in my field. Linux was very
much up my mind, but
> never dared to enter as the techies always told me
it is very
> compicated, no support and you will not understand
like stuff!  well I
> made up my mind now to go for it!
>
> last month I checked on the net and found the ubutu
site, requested a
> cd which they promtly delivered too, that really
surprised me, as all
> the time I was looking for a linux distro and I was
just not able to
> get it in this part.
>
>  To be frank I dont know AB,C of what kind of
operating system this
> is, as I have been using windows for last 6 years
and I am no Techie
> also.
>
> Very happily I tried to install the CD on my system
after running the
> live cd I did not go any further and clicked the
icon of install, LO!
> somehow after going through the five stages i got
stucked as the PC
> Hanged, and I could not move any further!
>
> My PC configuration is,  windows XP2  presently
loaded on my system.
> The processor is AMD K 750 with 256mb RAM, and a
hard disk of 20 GB in
> four partitions.
>
>  I need to know what could be causing it, is my
system configuration
> not competable?
>
>  Now, I have read, someone advising the knoppix
version to the new
> bee's why is it so? will you explain me please? Will
not ubutu work
> for me, if thier is any change I had to make to the
pc I will do it on
> your recomendation, no problem but I want to use it
and check the
> operating system myself!
>
>  One very important thing, I am using bluetooth for
internet access
> through airtel gprs, and I would like to continue
that, will I be able
> to do that through ubuntu or knoppix, if yes please
guide me for the
> right distro! Also with proper guidance of where to
get the distro
> from,  I am willing to pay for it, no matter.
>  I hope you all will guide me, and see to it that
you get a genuine
> user who could become a contributer like you to the
community.

>  Thanking you,
>  Ashfaq Shaikh.
>

> On 9/13/06, ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> <ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Welcome to the ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com mailing
list! This is the
> > Ubuntu-India mailing list !
> >
> > Our goal is to create a local community for
Ubuntu-Linux users in
> > India and provide information and inspiration for
all present and
> > upcoming Ubuntu users, volunteers and developers
within the Ubuntu
> > community !
> >

> > For more information, please read these wiki
pages:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianTeam
> >
> > At the outset, please introduce yourself with an
email to the list to
> > help us get to know you better. We would like this
community to be as
> > open to discussion as possible. You are expected
to follow the Ubuntu
=== Message Truncated ===