[ubuntu-in] While translating...

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:42:00 BST 2006

On 10/3/06, Aniruddha Shankar <karim at sarai.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Am translating ubuntu's debian-installer in Hindi. I really would like to finish
> before the next version of ubuntu (eft) is released. While translating, I am
> using the glossary that is provided in http://snipurl.com/xvkq, so that as far
> as possible, standardised words are used.
>
> Some important words were not there in the glossary, therefore am making
> suggestions for them:
>

> Architecture = शिल्प-शैली (shilp-shailEE)
> Partitioner = विभाजनकार (viBHAAjankAAr)
> Partition Table = विभाजन-नक्षा (viBHAAjan-naksha)
>
> Also, in http://snipurl.com/xvko , the word "tune" is used in the sense of
> perfecting, making tiny adjustments for optimum performance. In this case, I
> would say that परखना (parakhna) is the closest I can come to it. If anyone can,
> do suggest a better translation for "tune".
>
> thanks,
>
> Aniruddha Shankar

Hi Aniruddha,

I am not a Hindi speaking person, so I can't suggest any words.

I have another suggestion, though. Please make sure that you leave
keyboard shortcuts intact. It can become very frustrating for a user
when there is no way to access menus or buttons with keyboard.

By the way, I am assuming that you are making translations in
launchpad. If it is so then you should easily get translation
suggestions for same words in other packages.

Also keep an eye on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyReleaseSchedule for
translation deadlines.

Onkar